Last Week {Three Things Thursday 4/21}


A major goal this year is to engage this wonderful blogging community consistently. What better way than to link up with blog friends! Together, the three of us came up with Three Things Thursday. Just three things to talk or write about. Five seemed like too many and "one thing" was like we weren't even trying! So any three things that are on your mind. Any three pictures from Instagram. Three complaints about your day/week. Three of your favorite treats. Seriously. Any three things! 
So write it. Publish it. Yell it from the mountain tops! 
Just be sure you come back and link it up here!

For some extra fun follow us on Instagram for some three things posts! 
Use the #threethingsthursday, and let's start talking!

I'll be honest and tell you that this week my attention has been elsewhere. I swore to myself I was going to come here and tap on these keys and give you something fantastic... Then I picked up Anthony Kiedis' biography and life stopped. I'm not even joking. More on his book later, but I took out my highlighter again. It's that serious.

Back to the point, I find myself here, when I should be in bed, struggling for a story to tell. Well why not just tell you the truth, life has been busier than usual. And I'm not glorifying that I'm just putting it out there. I've also indulged in other loves like reading and watching some great TV. All day I've been pressed to think of what to post for my three things. Then as I'm saving my Instagram pictures, I'm overwhelmed by the inspiration. Pictures I had forgotten I took. Pictures that tell a larger story. Sometimes the inspiration is there, waiting for me to return. I'm okay with that.

Here are three things that happened last week, that I kind of loved.

ONE: Throw Back Thursday
I'm an only child so there are about a trillion pictures of me floating around my parents house. Little squares and rectangles that show me at all ages of my life. Some awkward. Some not as awkward as I thought they were. Last week my Dad decided to clean out the garage, and while doing so found a box that held some of my Mom's old work stuff. Mixed in with some outdated HR paperwork and pens and old birthday cards was this picture of my Mom and I. I'm five. I can see that we are at Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey, and I'm with my best buddy, Mom. I know that my Dad took the picture with his old 35mm that he wore around his neck everywhere. Mom filled in the blanks for me. It was the weekend that we came back from a trip to Southern California, my first trip to Disneyland. My Dad took us both out for a movie, Mr. Mom, and then to the wharf for lunch. That was pretty normal for us back in those days. Sundays were spent driving around Monterey or Carmel, and having lunch whenever the mood struck. While I don't remember any specifics of that day, I feel those types of memories. I know that I was happy and content. I know that the smile is genuine. That is why I felt so compelled to share the picture. It was such a distinct glimpse into the life of five year old me.


TWO: This face
This face. I tried for a solid five minutes to get a perfectly posed shot out of this one. Nah. That's not her style. From day one life has been on her terms, with me fighting every step of the way. Why? I have no idea. Except that we both want to be right, all the time. I see that. I accept that. Even when I'm yelling. But on this day, this face, I knew she was happy. She received an academic award at school, she had a cheering section at awards, that included some neighbors, and she got fro-yo to celebrate. This face makes me happy. It tells me that her personality is coming through. It tells me that, as always, there is no such thing as perfection with her. It reminds me that it's okay. It's okay to make this face. It's okay to cry those tears. It's okay that sometimes we yell and cry and fight and make a mess. This face. I work every day to make sure this face, continues to make this face.


THREE: Found on Caitlin's Phone
Caitlin doesn't actually have a real iPhone. I mean it's a phone, but it's just for games and, oh lookey there, pictures. This is one of the many I found on her phone, including #ootds. Yup. My eight year old is taking #ootds. This sort of sent the Hubbs into a tizzy, until I reminded him that she can't actually post them.
Back to the point: I love this picture of my two girls. They took it together in a quiet moment when they weren't fighting or screaming over who got to play Chewbacca. I'm not even kidding, that's actually happening on the daily. I love that they are just hamming it up, enjoying life, and most likely using their amazing imaginations. Pretending they are rock stars or movie stars, or maybe just a couple of gals taking selfies. Whatever. I don't care. The picture speaks volumes and I think I'll just put it on a shirt and wear it.


That's it for this week. Have a happy Thursday and maybe do these three things: 1- Link up with us! 2- Visit some of the blogs that linked up. 3- Leave some comments because bloggers love comments.