Some people drink...


Last week I overheard my husband telling a stranger that I pay the electricity bill at Target. This isn't the first time he has said this, and I'm sure it won't be the last. It isn't really a lie if I'm being honest. I do shop at Target. A lot. It's my happy place. It's where I take the girls when we are bored. It's where I go when I need to get a way. But it didn't occur to me why I love Target so much until I heard my husband complaining about my Target addiction again. 

Target is my drug, my xanax, my Valium. It's my carb, my potato chip, my chocolate chip cookie, my red velvet cake. It's my glass of wine, my bottle of beer, my martini. It's my happy place, my 5k, my spin class, my Zumba.

Target is my happy place, my coping mechanism, my high.

It sounds funny, I know. How could Target be all of those things? I'm sure you hear women all the time talk about how much they love Target. How they spend hours shopping and looking around, buying things they don't need and always forgetting all the things they do. I'm like that too, but I love Target because it takes me away. I can lose myself in there for hours one end. And I always feel better after a trip to my happy place. 

Saturday, after spending the majority of the day at home, I packed the girls in the car and headed to Target. We really didn't need anything, but I wanted to get a birthday gift out of the way, because it was on my mind. I didn't realize it, but I had been in a mood all day. Maybe it was lack of sleep, or maybe it was the fact that I was finally off on a Saturday and the Hubbs had to work, whatever the case, the kids could tell I wasn't happy. Yet, after an hour, some Icees, and a walk through the school supplies, my mood was lighter. "Mommy, what happened? You were mad before and now you are excited", Caitlin said to me on our way to the car. All I could think of was, Target happened.

Some people drink. I go to Target. I made sure to tell that to the person my husband was talking to last week. I went up and totally interrupted the conversation to say, 

"Well, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't eat sugar or dairy or wheat. I don't drink coffee. So I guess you could say that Target is my drug of choice". 

Because it's true. I don't eat or drink any of those things, and smoking is a thing of the past. So how else would I indulge?

After I said that, the neighbors daughter looked at me and said, "How the hell do you manage that?".

I pay the electric bill at Target, silly.