Big Changes for me in 2014




I was that crazy person who went shopping the day after Christmas.  I have been known to go to Target on the day after, just for fun, just to buy a few ornaments or rolls of wrapping paper, but it's rare that I actually go out with an agenda.  This year, I went out with a huge agenda.

See that picture above, it was taken not only to show that I indulged in some "sales of the year", but to send to my new boss for approval.  That's right I said new "boss", and I'm not talking about the two I gave birth to.

Are you ready for this people?

I got a job.  One that requires me to leave the house.  One that will require me to wear pants that button, and things like mascara and blush.  A job that will pay me for my time.  A job that will take away some of my free time that I have enjoyed over the last six years.

Now that said, I'm excited about this new endeavor.  This job will put me back on a team with one of my favorite people.  She was my boss when I worked at Victoria's Secret before either of us were married or had kids.  It's no surprise that she became a friend, a really good friend.  It just so happened that she is now employed with Pier 1, and looking for a part time sales leader.  That part time sales leader would now be me!  I'm working for Pier 1!  It's a job that allows me to use my retailing degree (did you know that I have one of those?), but on a part time basis.  When she called me about this job in the beginning of December it sounded too good to be true.  How could I refuse?

I didn't refuse, and that is how I ended up at the mall on the day after Christmas. I'd like to say I had the time of my life, enjoying some kid free shopping for new clothes, but it was super stressful.  The stores were packed (obviously), the pickings were slim, and I was breaking into a sweat trying on pants.  Why are pants the hardest thing to get to fit?  Boot cut, flare, modern fit, high rise, straight leg, straight skinny, jegging... I mean I just need some pants that button that aren't jeans!  Help me!

I found some, and some tops (like the one above), and some sensible shoes (translation: flat and hopefully really comfortable).  I'm still looking for a new handbag, because my canvas cross body bags scream "Stay at Home Mother", and I need one to say "I can do this job, no really I can, because I have a professional looking handbag!!".  Kidding, but only a little.

Now for the biggest change.  This blog.  No I'm not shutting it down!  Are you crazy?  I need this blog, it's my therapy, my happy place, my after work drink, and my cuppa whatever on a tough day. I have no intentions of closing up shop. I do however have intentions of slowing down.  My goal is that I will have a new post for your viewing pleasure Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  If I have extra time over the weekend, I may plan a post or two to run that week.  Some weeks may have more content than others, but I'm not going to push it.  Because when you push writing, it's crap.  I don't want the time I actually spend here to be crap. That's why a three day a week commitment to you and this blog seems doable while I get the hang of having a job outside of the home.  I will be checking my emails daily, so if you need me I will respond as soon as I can, hopefully in twenty four hours.  Also a new year's resolution of mine is to interact more with my readers and commenter.  This means that I will now be responding to comments directly on my blog.  I will still respond to some via email, but I think interacting on my blog would be better since I get a ton of comments that are "no reply". What do you think?  How do you feel about it?  Go ahead and leave a comment I can respond to.

Don't worry, you will still see me plenty on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter (another goal is to utilize Twitter a lot more).  Of course you will mostly see me on Instagram posting pictures of my outfits for work.  Because I have no idea when it comes to looking "professional".  Professional mom maybe, professional person with a job?  Only time will tell.


11 comments:

  1. Congrats Megs!!!!!! So happy and excited for you! Totally looking forward to your work outfits. Love ya! Cheers sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting a new job after 10 years of being a SAHM and I am so nervous/excited. I'll definitely be watching for updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can support each other! Why is this so scary?!? Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new job!! Sounds great!
    Glad to hear you won't be abandoning the blog... it's one of my favorites, and I *need* it too! ;)
    Happy new year, friend! Best wishes for 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lena!! Yours is one of my favorites too! Happy 2014!!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Such a fun new adventure for you! You're trying to get professional looking clothes and get back into the workforce and here I am, wearing what I can get away with in my professional office and making steps to get out of it. :) Good luck lady! You will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me I'm gonna put on my best outfits in the beginning but check back with me in march! Lol I'm sure I'll be barely passing as professional! Xo

      Delete
  5. Woohoo for you! You are going to get to have adult conversations....how awesome! I love working, not so much the working part, but the lunch breaks are awesome. I'll miss only getting 3 posts a week but I'll deal. Maybe reading less will motivate me to do some housework or something. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH!!!! Congratulations momma!!! I can't wait to hear more about it!!

    ReplyDelete