A sigh of relief {Election day hangover}


Nothing says "election day" more than red TOMS




Most of you won't read this post until Thursday.

That's two whole days post election.
There's a reason for that.
I just couldn't bring myself to the blog.
I wasn't sure how I was going to put my feelings into words.
Which is weird, because in my real life, I'm never gun shy about politics.
Never.
So why here?

What I experienced over the last 18 months has made me sad.
Has almost extinguished all my political passion entirely.
I have been so afraid to take a stand for my beliefs and my candidate.
Why?
The answer is HATE.

If you knew me in real life, you'd know that I'm passionate about everything.
My girls, my husband, my family, my friends, and most recently, my blog.
You'd come to know, that I can argue and punch like the best of them.
I can defend myself and others with no issue.
But what I can't do now, or ever, is change your mind if it's already set to hate.

Hate is a strong word.
It's ugly.
It' brings out the ugly.
Hate is stronger than fear.
Because fear breeds hate.
And hate, can never know love.

So I am both relieved and sad.
I'm relieved that this election season is over.
I'm relieved that I went to the polls almost without incident.
Save one toddler who would not, for the love of chocolate, take an "I voted" picture.
I'm relieved that America voted.
It's our right.
It's our treasure.
It's what makes us,US(A).

But I'm sad too.
Sad that I didn't stand up for my beliefs this past year.
Sad that I didn't push back on posts and comments that left me heart sick.
Sad that I didn't take my usual militant "I am woman hear me roar", stand.
Sad that if I did, it's possible that the hate and vitriol would be directed at me.
I thought I had a thicker skin than that.
Sadly this time around I was a coward.

I want this blog to be a place of honesty.
Open to debates big and small.
But hear me when I say, I don't ever want this place to be a portrait of hate.
So when it came to election season, I stayed quiet.
There is a time and place for everything.
My blog isn't Huffington Post, Fox News, MSNBC, or CNN.
It's just a little space on the Internet where I talk too much.

Still with me?

So I am relieved.
Relieved that we can all move on, and dare I say FORWARD?
Relieved that the world didn't end this morning as it was predicted.
Relieved that many people I love haven't moved to Canada, or South America, or Europe.
Because, although those are fabulous places, they sure as hell ain't "Merica".