Let's be crafty friends: Covert Robin

A month or so ago, Rachael, from Imagine Gnats decided that she wanted to host a round robin gift exchange with us bloggers.  The catch was that the gifts had to be handmade.  I was all about it.  I can get crafty when I want to, and it sounded like soooo much fun.  So I was all in. 

Then a "informational" email came around about the value the gift should be, and what exactly hand made meant, and things like that.  Ok, I was still good.  I like challenges, and I like to make things for people.  Sweet.  I'm still in.

Then I got my "Covert Robin" name.  I was honored to get Tara from SewTara.  I say honored because as soon as I went to her blog, I knew I was in the presence of a true artist.  Her blog is amazing, and inspiring, and well, intimidating.  She is a REAL crafter, and does amazing things with needles and thread.  I'm a novice, a rookie, a fake, and then I had a little freak out.

How on earth would I create ANYTHING remotely crafty for such a person?  I didn't know where to start.  I tried and tried and brainstormed.  And zilch.

So I did what many of us do when we are un-inspired.  I got Pinspired.  That's right Pinterest.  I found do-able projects that would impress the most esteemed crafter.  At least that's what I told myself.

Here are my pinspirations:

Pinned Image
Caroline Valade via pinmarklet from 
http://remodelthishouse.blogspot.com/2011/06/remodeling-t-shirts.html
Just another hang up
Buntingbagtutorial


Pinned Image
Maria Lopez via pinmarklet from
makeit-loveit.com 


So this is where I started.  Easy and straight forward, and amazingly enough, I had most of the supplies that I needed.  Or in my case, I had enough to tweak these projects and make them my own.

Let me say, that I hate taking pictures of things that I make.  I am not a photographer, so keep in mind that this Instagram pic, doesn't really do my stuff justice.


I made the pin cushion with fabric scraps and left over stuffing.  It's a little lopsided now that I look at it, but when I made it I was so proud!  It's filled with the contents of a mini sewing kit and buttons, that I bought, which I guess is kind of cheating.  Oh, and I added a little fabric bow/flower bling. 

The bunting tote bag.  I liked the cosmetic bag, but zippers are way over my head at this time.  So I had this tote left over from a forgotten project last fall.  I again used scrap fabric for the triangles, and did my best to sew straight and clean.  I really liked the way it turned out.  It looks like a happy little tote don't ya think?

Finally, a tshirt scarf up cycle.  I had loads of my hubby's old ts just begging for attention.  It's long enough to be doubled like an infinity scarf.  I made a green one for me for St. Patty's and I love it.  So, I was hoping Tara liked it too.

So after all the intimidation, worry, and sweat over this Covert Robin project, I was happy to know she loved it.  I got Tara's email and had a big sigh of relief.  Because I was dealing with a serious crafter, who deserves some serious homemade swag.  Looks like I put just enough love and thought into it that she ignored some sewing missteps.  So glad you liked it Tara!!

Don't forget I got a gift too!  I'd love to share it as it is AWESOME, but I'll wait for Katie of There & Back to link up with the Covert Robin.  You can see a sneak peek here.

 
Linking up with Imagine Gnats for
COVERT ROBIN!!
the covert robin button
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Megan. Meeting new challenges can be really intimidating and then exhilarating when we have come through the other side. Here's to new challenges.

    Cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your gifts look great!! and i especially love the happy tote :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! Those are some really great gifts!! I love that they are all both useful and adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a GREAT job! The tote is adorable! Everyone needs a cute sewing kit and those scarves are so in right now! :) What a lucky girl she was to draw you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I'm noticing a bunting theme on some of these swaps!

    ReplyDelete