Ye of little faith


I have a confession to make.

Prior to my Las Vegas getaway, I didn't believe in date night.
I loathed all the date night pictures on Instagram.
I mean, really, you like your husband that much?
Who does that?

Maybe it was envy.
Maybe it was because I always come up with excuses.
Maybe it was because I hadn't let loose in years.

Well readers and friends, I was wrong.

You see that Hubbs?
I said I was WRONG.
About date nights, just date nights.

I digress.



As evidenced by my Instagram feed, my Las Vegas getaway was fun.
It was more than fun, it was amazing, exciting, glamorous, stimulating...
It was refreshing and relaxing.
It was everything my marriage needed and more.

Because we really have forgotten how to be John and Megan.
Because our days are filled with being Mommy and Daddy, 
or Absolute Mommy and The Hubbs.
We got to Vegas and suddenly we were us again.
The relaxed and affectionate us.
The let's got to be at 3 in the afternoon us.
The let's stay out all night us.
Those two haven't been around in years.

My marriage needed those four days.

Mornings that were spent in bed, no one demanding mini pancakes, no one calling "I'm done" from the potty.  Mornings that were slow to start, with breakfast in bed, quiet conversation and dare I say, more?  Afternoons spent out, shopping or drinking.  Not a care in the world.  No schedule, no dance classes, no late afternoon tantrums.  Evenings spent dancing, singing along to music, having dinner and not worrying about spilled drinks and cutting up hot dogs.  And while we went on this trip with friends, the two of us, The Hubbs and I, were able to reconnect in a real way.  To remember what it was like seven years ago when it was just us.  To remember what it was like when we first met.  Those two college kids that could not get enough of each other.  Who spent their days and nights filled with booze and laughter and stolen kisses.  To remember that at one time we liked each other best.

 Now I believe in date night.
I believe in second and third honeymoons.
I believe that at some point you have to remember what it was like
to love your husband recklessly and messily.

Even if you have to schedule the time to do it.